Can drinking smoothies really make you healthier?

Health drinks such as smoothies and alike have taken our nation by storm. They are supposed to be an excellent way of getting that all important 5-a-day and packed with health-giving antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Knowing that you are being healthy is one thing but do these drinks actually make a difference to the way you feel in your everyday life? Armed with a juicer, recipe book and a fridge full of fruit and veg I pledge to drink at least 2 of these concoctions a day...

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Fibre - skin or no skin?

Studies show that most enzymes, vitamins and minerals lie just below the skins of fruits and vegetables, so it is best to leave them on whenever possible. You have to be careful however as this is also where most pesticide residues collect. The best thing to do is buy organic, but as a student this is far too expensive so generally it is safer to peel non-organic produce or wash the item thoroughly in warm water first.
The American Institute for Cancer Research in Washington D.C. has conducted some research that suggests juices aren't as good for you as eating fruit and veg in their 'whole' state. For example, one study reports that a whole orange contains up to five times more of one major antioxidant than a glass of orange juice. The antioxidant is found in the white pulp and membranes that separate the orange segments from each other.
Solid fruits and vegetables also provide dietary fibre not found in juice. Bacteria in our colon break down soluble fibre, producing fatty acids that some studies suggest protects our colon against cancer-causing influences. Overall, studies have produced conflicting results on the significance of fibre for cancer prevention, but it is far too early to dismiss.
Eating solid fruits and vegetables can also lower risk of cancer and heart disease by helping you reach and maintain a healthy weight. Juice does not offer the same weight control benefits. Fruit juice is a more concentrated source of calories than solid fruits and vegetables. A one-half cup serving of most vegetables and fruit contains from 25 to 70 calories. Even a modest serving of most fruit juice six ounces contains 70 to 105 calories. (Tomato-based juices are the low-calorie exception.) Furthermore, numerous studies show that we don't tend to make up for calories we drink by eating any less. When we eat fiber-rich food like fruits and vegetables, however, we tend to feel full and thus, eat fewer calories. This I can say is true, although my breakfast juice will has been keeping me full until lunch, there is no way I could just have another one for lunch and I find I am eating more!
I am left slightly discouraged by this information but I will carry on, if only to prove the experts wrong!
Breakfast today had to again be prepared the night before as there is no way I'm getting out of bed earlier just to make them. I had the aptly named 'strawberry and kiwifruit' which was exactly that. This one again was full of flavour although not quite sweet enough for me. Rating 4/5
I seem to be picking bad mixes for my 2nd juice of the day. If you are reading this and want to give the juicelife a try please heed this advice - never try the ones with beetroot in! Apart from staining everything in sight (my hands included) the flavour of this particular vegetable over powers anything else you include in the juice!
'beetnik';
2 small beetroot
50g grapes
1 orange
This drink was blood red and I should have saved myself the hassle of juicing the ingredients and just eat the beetroot as that was all I could taste. Luckily this recipe doesn't make that much actual juice so I managed to gulp it down in a few mouthfuls. Here's to good health! Rating 1/5
With regard to the cost I have only spent another £8 on ingredients and I've got more than enough to last me until next week. If you stick to just 2-a-day your weekly shopping bill should, in fact, become less, as generally speaking fruit and vegetables don't cost as much as you might think.
Today's ratings (out of 5)
Energy: 4
Hassle: 5
Benefits: 2

1 comment:

Matt Olney said...

beetroot yuk, the one veg i cant stand your brave for drinking that one!