Can drinking smoothies really make you healthier?

Health drinks such as smoothies and alike have taken our nation by storm. They are supposed to be an excellent way of getting that all important 5-a-day and packed with health-giving antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Knowing that you are being healthy is one thing but do these drinks actually make a difference to the way you feel in your everyday life? Armed with a juicer, recipe book and a fridge full of fruit and veg I pledge to drink at least 2 of these concoctions a day...

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Luscious locks

The condition of our external features is not just determined by our genes and the weather, it can be greatly influenced by what we eat and drink too. Foods rich in nutrients like vitamins A, C, E, and beta-carotene, and the minerals zinc and potassium, are apparently the key to a more beautiful you.
Our hair is our crowning glory and if it's been coloured (mines all natural by the way) or permed it can look dull and lifeless, but so too can totally natural hair that is lacking nutrients. The external hair shaft is actually dead, but the root is alive and is fed essential minerals and vitamins through the bloodstream.
To get high gloss vitamins from the B complex group, and the minerals iron, iodine, and sulphur, are essential for healthy hair and can be supplied by a range of fresh juices by using ingredients such as cabbage, carrots, radishes, kale, pineapple, passion fruit and kale. Anyone for a cabbage and pineapple smoothie?
In Caroline Wheater's book, Juicing for Good Health, she explains that dandruff may even be prevented! It can occur for two reasons: either the sebaceous glands in the scalp do not produce enough lubricating oil (sebum), or they produce too much. In the first case skin flakes off, and hair goes dry and brittle; in the second the dandruff is yellow and the hair greasy. Juices rich in the B group of vitamins, vitamin E, and beta-carotene may help improve the condition of you scalp. If you suffer from a few extra flakes she recommends enjoying juices with mango, peach, apple, lettuce, grapes or kiwifruit. I don't suffer from dandruff so I'm afraid I can't comment on whether it works or not!
I must admit I am getting a bit bored of sticking to the recipes and this morning decided to be experimental. However I did decide to play it safe and not include any nasty vegetables. My 'tropical teaser' was made with mango, pineapple and lemon. This one was really refreshing but be careful not to put too much lemon in as it will overpower the other flavours. Rating 4/5
Once you have tried a few recipes there is nothing wrong with having a bit of 'fun' and creating your own, but there are a few simple guidelines to follow; carrots and apples blend well with almost anything; avoid too many strong-tasting vegetables in one juice; if using strong or bitter-tasting vegetables, dilute and sweeten them with carrot and cucumber.
OK, I cheated - for my second helping of juice I made a banana milkshake with some natural yogurt in it for extra creaminess. I had it instead of tea as I had eaten a big lunch so didn't want to eat anything too much. I have to say it was the best one I've tried to far! Rating 5/5.
A few of my friends have commented how good my skin is looking so this juice must be doing some good. My driving instructor even said I was 'glowing' - my skin does feel softer but I haven't noticed any 'glows' as such. Haven't noticed a difference in the quality of my hair though. My energy levels have stayed at a constant since the first day. I am a little disappointed with this as I was expecting my levels to rise daily, although it is early days yet.

Today's ratings (out of 5)
Energy: 4
Hassle: 3
Benefits: 3

No comments: