Can drinking smoothies really make you healthier?

Health drinks such as smoothies and alike have taken our nation by storm. They are supposed to be an excellent way of getting that all important 5-a-day and packed with health-giving antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Knowing that you are being healthy is one thing but do these drinks actually make a difference to the way you feel in your everyday life? Armed with a juicer, recipe book and a fridge full of fruit and veg I pledge to drink at least 2 of these concoctions a day...

Saturday, March 31, 2007

My juicy lifestyle starts here...well nearly!

According to Jason Vale (pictured left), the JuiceMaster and celebrity health coach (he helped Jordon to shift some extra pounds) these cool and fruity drinks are not only delicious but also full of goodness. They will give you plenty of vitamins and minerals and are proven to help reduce the risk of developing a range of chronic diseases including heart disease and some cancers.
My work colleague who started 'drinking' two weeks ago was my inspiration as she swears by them and says her energy levels have received a massive boost.
With the promise of improved health and energy levels off I went to get all the necessary equipment for my 'juice diet' - a juicer/blender, a book of juice recipes and £20 worth of fruit and vegetables. The total cost so far is £60! Admittedly I could have gone for a cheaper juicer but I opted for a mid-price one instead on the grounds that it would last longer.
An article entitled
'smoothie operators' in a Scottish newspaper called The Daily Record explains some of the many benefits of this 'fast food' method of getting your 5-a-day. Drinking these everyday could help with such things as eczema (through the zinc and flavonoids found some fruit and veg), cystitis, heart problems, weight loss and can even improve the look of your hair and nails. These are the same benefits you would get from just eating more fruit and veg, but it does seem like an easier way to get all those vital vitamins.
My aim is to have at least two smoothies/drinks a day starting tomorrow. As I'm not seeking to lose much weight I will eat normal food as well. I will have a drink for breakfast and one with my lunch (no this isn't the slimfast diet) and a normal tea or dinner.
Looking through my book of weird and wonderful drinks I can't help but wonder what does a carrot and kiwi drink taste like? How time consuming will it be? Will buying all the fresh produce cost too much?
Falling asleep with my Juices and Smoothies book in hand I drift off to dreams of the chilli queen and squeaky greenjuices. What will tomorrow bring?

No comments: